November Edition Newsletter
Your Guide to Fall Home
Greetings! As we bid farewell to the colorful leaves and welcome the first snowflakes, November reminds us that winter is just around the corner. We’re back with another essential home maintenance tip to ensure your abode remains cozy and well-prepared for the colder months ahead.
Tip of the Month: Embrace the Gutter Duty Chicago’s winters are known for their snowfall, which can lead to icy conditions and potential damage if your gutters are not properly maintained. Gutters play a crucial role in directing melting snow and rain away from your home’s foundation, preventing water damage and ice buildup. Here’s what you can do:
- Clear Leaves and Debris: Before the snow arrives, make sure your gutters are free from leaves, twigs, and other debris that can clog them. This will prevent water from pooling and freezing, which can lead to ice dams.
- Inspect for Damage: Check for any signs of damage such as cracks, sagging, or loose gutters. Replace or repair damaged sections to ensure proper water flow.
- Install Gutter Guards: Consider installing gutter guards to help prevent debris from accumulating in the first place. These guards allow water to flow through while keeping leaves and debris out.
- Test the Downspouts: Ensure that downspouts are clear and functioning properly. They should direct water several feet away from your home’s foundation to prevent water from seeping into your basement or causing erosion.
- Prevent Icicles: Trim overhanging tree branches that can contribute to ice buildup and icicles. Icicles can be beautiful but can also be a sign of poor drainage and potential damage.
- Schedule a Professional Inspection: If you’re not comfortable with heights or the task seems daunting, consider hiring a professional to inspect and clean your gutters. They can ensure a thorough job and address any potential issues.
Local Spotlight: Indoor Activities for Cozy Days As the weather gets colder, it’s the perfect opportunity to explore Chicago’s indoor attractions. Visit the Art Institute for a dose of culture, catch a show at one of the city’s renowned theaters, or simply indulge in a day of comfort food at local cafes and restaurants. A little maintenance now can save you from major repairs later. Stay warm and cozy, Chicago!Until next month,
City Home Inspectors, LLC