Hello, Chicago Homeowners!
As we embrace the heart of winter, our homes continue to provide us with warmth and shelter. We’re back with another essential home maintenance tip to keep your abode cozy and well-maintained during the chilly month ahead.
Tip of the Month: Love Your Plumbing – Prevent Frozen Pipes
Chicago’s frigid February temperatures can bring about the risk of frozen pipes, which can lead to costly damage and inconveniences. Taking preventive measures to protect your plumbing can save you from headaches down the road.Here’s what you can do:
- Insulate Exposed Pipes: Identify pipes in unheated areas such as basements, crawl spaces, and attics. Insulate them with pipe insulation or heating tape to keep them from freezing.
- Drip Faucets: On especially cold nights, let faucets in vulnerable areas (usually the ones farthest from the main water supply) drip slightly. This keeps water flowing and reduces the chance of freezing.
- Open Cabinet Doors: If you have plumbing along exterior walls, open cabinet doors to allow warm air to circulate around the pipes.
- Maintain Heating: Keep your home adequately heated, even if you’re away. A consistent indoor temperature helps prevent freezing.
- Disconnect Outdoor Hoses: If you haven’t already, disconnect and drain your outdoor hoses. Close the inside valve that leads to the hose connection.
- Seal Leaks: Seal any gaps or cracks in your home’s exterior to prevent cold air from seeping in and potentially affecting your plumbing.
- Travel Precautions: If you’re planning to travel during winter, keep your home heated or consider shutting off the main water supply and draining the pipes.
Local Spotlight: Winter Culinary Delights
While you’re taking care of your home, why not savor the flavors of winter in Chicago? Explore local bakeries offering fresh-baked goods, warm up with hearty soups from neighborhood cafes, and indulge in the city’s diverse culinary scene.
Remember, a little maintenance now can save you from major repairs later.
Stay warm and take good care of both your home and yourself, Chicago!
Until next month,
City Home Inspectors, LLC